Re: Discretionary Hyphen-again

Reply to note from Patricia M Godfrey  Tue, 26
Aug 2003 18:08:45 -0400

Patricia:

> Carl wrote: "once you've set DH to a given 1-byte character,
> the keypad method (Ctrl+Alt+1,2,7, or whatever) will only
> produce the printable (3-byte) version of that character, not
> the DH control character. " Aha! Mystery solved.

Actually, I'm a little surprised that this solves it. Because you
said you assigned Ascii-127 to Alt-hyphen in your KBD file, and I
presume you're using Alt-hyphen to get the DH into your endnote.

So are you saying you were using the keypad method in your KBD file
assignment?? In other words, did your KBD file say (in TABLE=ALT,
of course) something like 12=R1,R2,R7,NO ?? That's Rube Goldberg-
esque, but possible and, in this case, wrong. If so, the solution
is to change it to 12=[127] -- substituting for "[127]" the actual
"little house" character (whether in 1- or 3-byte form doesn't
matter for this purpose, because a 3-byter in the KBD file produces
a 1-byter when the key is pressed).

On the other hand, if your KBD file assignment was 12=[127], then
the mystery remains.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx