Re: DOS only machine?

Hello Myron,

I still have a working DOS machine. It is a double-booting DOS/W2K
machine connected via W2K to the network. I have not bothered to network
the DOS side.

Some USB drivers and configuration examples for DOS:
http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

How ancient are these machines? Have you tried installing Win98SE (or
W2K)? These OS's have USB support.

There are many alternatives to communicating with a DOS machine other
than USB.

1) Use floppies or other similar media (zip etc.).

2) One of the easiest file-transfer methods is using a null-modem cable
and LapLink or similar. Other cables (parallel) may work depending on
programs used.

3) Double-boot (W2K, Linux, Hiren's BootCD, etc.) and network with the
more modern OS. Network card needed, of course.

See also this article for ideas:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2013/may/02/how-transfer-files-from-dos-laptop

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx

*** Lexitec Online ***

Is anyone using a DOS-only computer with XyWrite? I have at least three perfectly functional computers that would run DOS but either can't manage any version of Windows, and were pre-USB, or would struggle to get past WinXP. If you*are* DOSing it, what version are you using? Can you recommend a fairly simple way to access USB from DOS? (I've never tried it with stand-alone DOS.) I've run DOS/Write in virtual machines, but the machines handled the anachronistic elements for me. Myron