Re: Xy on 1 disk

** Reply to note from JLOUD@xxxxxxxx 07/02/96 3:19pm +0000

> Soon I'll start work at a new job and I'd like to take Xy 4.0 DOS
> with me for fast text entry. I want to fit it one disk. I could
> do a new installation with the factory disks, but would it be
> easier to just copy the files I need to a blank disk, then modify
> the startup.int file so that it points to the files on the floppy?

You can run Xy4 from a floppy (I've done it), but performance would be
more satisfactory if you copied the files to your local hard drive.
The essential files fit easily on a 1.4M diskette. (Since your goal
is
"fast text entry" I assume you won't be loading HLP, MNU or DLG
files.)

In addition to EDITOR.EXE and STARTUP.INT, be sure to include your
logon file (.LOG) and a LOGON command in STARTUP.INT (otherwise EDITOR
will pause and pester you to log on), DEFAULT.FNT, printer files (if
you intend to print from XyWrite), and of course any necessary
customization files (SETTINGS.DFL, .KBD, .U2, etc.).

Good luck at the new job.

Carl Distefano * * * CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx