Re: New program: LFN Utilities for Win32

Hi Robert. Our messages crossed. I got the new U2 (and INF) you
posted, and see no problems at all so far (dirlfn works as you
describe). I'll keep your message, and if I see the problem again, will
follow the diagnostic steps you suggest. I'll be using other features
too, and will let you know of any problems with them.

Till now, when handling (other people's) long filenames, I've shelled
out to DOS, looked at a dir for the SFN, and exited back to Xy. Your
routines make life much simpler.

Thanks again
Martin

Robert Holmgren wrote:
** Reply to message from "Martin J. Osborne" on Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:05:19 -0500 Martin:
'dirlfn' with no arguments displays the list of files in the default directory, puts the long filename of the first file in the directory to the right of the date-time, and puts the cursor on the second character of the next line. Is that what it's supposed to do?
No. It examines the entire directory, adding LFNs *if* (only if) there is an LFN -- in other words, if there is a recognized distinction between the LFN and the SFN (which can sometimes be simply a matter of a lowercase LFN and uppercase SFN). I remain troubled by your report that the message I posted yesterday didn't DECODE properly. I suggest that you DL the LFN.ZIP from XyWWWeb (http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/LFN.ZIP), and replace the U2 you're using with the U2 in the ZIPfile (with XyWrite not running). What's the d:\pathname of this "default" directory? FAT or FAT32 (or NTFS under a driver like SysInternals)? Was the volume (the drive) created by Win98 when you first set it up? (This is a rare problem, but if, for example, the drive was created by *nix or OS/2, then you aren't going to see any LFNs, period. And I don't know what would happen if the drive was created as NTFS under, say, Win2K, and then converted by an external program like PMagic to FAT or FAT32. But I'm probably being unduly complicated here.) What's the actual filename of that second file, where the cursor stops moving? When the cursor stops, is XyWrite hung, or has the program simply ended? Try dropping to a DOS prompt and issuing this command (in this same directory): kmd.exe /c dir /x/a:-h-r-s *.* That should generate a dir list of the current dir. If that works, then go back to XyWrite and try something like: DIRLFN C:\WINDOWS Win98 is the one OS I don't have (although I saw DIRLFN execute on it once a couple of weeks ago -- worked fine). Lemme know ----------------------------- Robert Holmgren holmgren@xxxxxxxx -----------------------------
-- Martin J. Osborne Department of Economics 150 St. George Street University of Toronto Toronto M5S 3G7 Canada http://www.economics.utoronto.ca martin.osborne@xxxxxxxx http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/osborne