Re: New program: LFN Utilities for Win32

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 cld@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Actually, NEW *is* a legal command, as in NEW newfile.foo -- perfectly
> acceptable native syntax.
> --
> Carl Distefano

Yes: legal in XY4, but I think Robert was referring to his own utility,
so it was an important correction there.

By the way, I'm always grateful that XyWrite accepts variants such as
new/ne: another example of its humanish, tool-like quality. Since I'm a
quick typist, typing a basic word takes less thought than remembering an
abbreviation--sometimes. I'm *inconsistent,* and XyWrite doesn't mind:
"new," "ci," "ca," "rmvscr," "erase,"
"del"--all accepted without
hesitation on the command line.

In Xy3 you could even type out longer-than-legal filenames without getting
an error message. They were cut off to 8.3 so far as the computer was
concerned, of course, but if you wanted to type "ca ORIGINALITY.JOT," Xy3
knew to ignore the extra letters the stupid hominid insisted on typing
since he could never remember where the eighth letter in "originality"
falls... and let him get on with his work. (Xy4 eliminated this probably
incidental but heartwarming "feature.")

Carlo

Carlo Caballero
Assistant Professor
College of Music, 301 UCB
The University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309 U.S.A.

thyrsus@xxxxxxxx

"Dickens was little read, except by the public." --Maurice Baring, "The
Nineties"