Line Gap/PS

Without knowing anything about it, I attempted, for a NB user, to
change line gap in a PS-based .otf font. In FontLab, I discovered
that line-gap is a TT-only setting. That being the case, has anyone
any idea if there is an analogous PS setting that would enable the
desired behaviour in NB? Could changing the font's default UPM (1000) help?
But that I think would entail scaling the font down and consequently
wrecking all the hints.
It is sometimes said that for ClearType, the fewer hints the better .
. . . . but that is just a general observation.
I am asking around in the font community, but as this seems a very
NotaBene / XyWin issue, it seemed best to start here . . . . .