Line length in messages, and Subject lines

   Often excessive line length is a problem of incompatibility between
mail programs. It can also be caused when messages are written in a word
processing program, where line lengths are often set at 80 or more, and
then copied into the mailer.
   In Eudora, one can select Special/Configuration and chage Message
Width. Seventy characters is a reasonable width choice there.
   On the recipients' end, I just noticed that my window for messages had
been moved in at the right to make it easier to switch back and forth
between a message and my reply. It was making some long lines too long to
display.

>A small, polite request, then: if people would do a line-end (hit )
>every 60 or 70 characters their msgs would be easier for folks like me to
>read.
>Phil Smith
>Columbia Music Company

   By the way, I am bothered more by threads that change topic -- like
this one, which started out on the subject of footnotes wrapping to the next
page -- but the Subject line stays the same. If I get in on the discussion,
which I don't often do, I usually change the line to a relevant one.

Lee Hickling