RE: Saving PDF File With Xywrite

Reply to note from "Brian Henderson"  Sat,
5 Feb 2005 15:51:13 -0800

> Are they part binary and part ASCII, as Carl says?

"Part binary" is like "a little pregnant". They're binary. That
is, they contain low-order (<32) and high-order (>127) characters.
Only a handful of these are troublesome to Xy, but they make all the
difference. XyWrite plays tricks to display them, and when you SAve
the file, these changes are committed to disk and, bingo, the file
is corrupted.

> But...if you were to open a graphic file or a WORD doc with a
> plain text editor, add a space...delete the space, then save
> the file, it would be corrupted. That's what is so strange
> about PDFs, as long as you don't mess with the binary looking
> parts, the file doesn't corrupt.

Maybe, maybe not. I, for one, wouldn't be confident that your
statement is universally true for all PDFs. Whatever you do, make
backups before you edit!

What were these PDFs created from? Have you considered editing in
the original word-processing format, then creating new PDFs? If you
still have the original files, that is.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx