Re: search/replace program

Carl Distefano wrote:

> A similar dilemma pertains to quotation marks: Does punctuation go
> before or after the close quote?

Again, Columbia University Press style (and this is according to The New
York Times, the Chicago Manual of Style, and indeed nearly all U.S. style
books) is to put periods and commas outside the quote marks. Always. No
exceptions.

For some reason the reverse is true for semicolons (I have no idea why)
and colons (you can see the logic there).

Question marks and Exclamation points, however, depend on whether those
marks are part of the quote or not. Mr. Spock would surely agree that this
is totally logical.

All this is fine with me, as there is far less to think about.

As far as I can discern (and we do get copy from British authors from time
to time): yes, the Brits seem to take the logical approach, but they tend
to use single quotes where we'd use double, and the reverse, so maybe the
aesthetics of it all are less of an issue on the other side of the
Atlantic.

lb136@xxxxxxxx
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)