Re: DOSEMU/DOSBOX question

On Jan 20, 2008, at 3:49 PM, Paul Lagasse wrote:
 Longer filenames are truncated - the first five characters are the
same, then there's a tilde, and then there are two characters that
seem to bear no relationship to the filename.

Thus,

.dosemurc becomes DOSEM~HU
.dosemurc~ becomes DOSEM~8Z
.recently-used.xbel becomes RECEN~YO.XBE

Linux files and directories without extensions show three underscores
PROFI~GU._ _ _ is ".profile" (I've added spaces to highlight the underscores as separate characters.)
If I type "ca profi~gu._ _ _" on the command line and hit enter, I
can open the file. I have to include the tilde and three
underscores to call the file. The way Dosemu and XyWrite are set
up, these files are in "d:\" in Xy4/Dosemu, which is actually "/
home/pgl/" in Linux.
I noticed a similar "encoding" of filenames when, while using Virtual
PC on my mac, I try and access files on my OS X hard drive, from XY.
I think it must be something with trying to encode long filenames to
be compatible with the DOS 8.3 scheme.
Until XY is ever open sourced, or something else happens, I think
with any DOS app you'll have to be cautious when you try and access
files on other operating systems.

Russ