Making "MD..." strings visible as deltas

On 3 June 97 I asked for advice on making mode changes (MD+xx, MD-xx) display as
deltas in draft view. I also sought counsel on an inadvertent change of the
hard-return symbol. Within 24 hours I had a reply, for which much thanks; but it
hasn't completely solved my problem.

On my second point, Carl DiStefano obligingly told me to add/change "df lc=[27]"
in XWSET.DFL. Thanks, Carl; it worked (of course).

But on my first point, Carl prescribed "df um=1" in XWSET.DFL. I've tried it,
both in XWSET.DFL and as a command-line instruction. In XWSET it has no effect;
the screen seems to act as if "df um=0" were still in force. Inputting "df um=1"
on the CM line just inserts a delta which, when opened, reads simply ≪DF≫;
modes are still hidden.
What am I doing wrong?

Eric Van Tassel

PS: I did the XyWin manual a partial injustice: the solutions Carl gave me *are*
documented in the manual, in the list of defaults starting on pp. 18-9. But I
still feel somewhat irritated that the index to the manual doesn't say anything
under the specific fault -- which is where one needs it. Imagine a home
first-aid book whose index didn't include entries for "choking", "burns" etc.