HS->   I've tried using 3 before -- the problem is the major difference in key
 -> boards. I was using XY3 for quite awhile on my little Zeos subnotebook, but
 -> finally the keystroke difference got to me. And yes, I tried changing the
 -> XY3 kbd file to emulate the XY4 file, it's a heck of a lot of work. I know,
 -> it's easier to change the 4 kbd to emulate 3, but I like the 4 kbd now.
 ->  What did you mean about using the 3 files with 4 -- I'm not sure what
 -> would work except the kbd and savegets -- since there is no settings.dfl or
 -> mnu or dlg files in 3 (I never got III+, so don't know about that).

Harmon,

The reason I couldn't adapt to the Xy 4 keyboard is the same: The
keyboard was just too different. And you're right about changing
the keyboards: I began making a keyboard map and then thought: Do
I really want to spend the day doing this?

Aside from the kbd and startup.int, I've assumed for years now
that display.prn was a standard Xy feature of 3+ (and probably
3). But in looking at the 3+ manual, I see it was merely a
recommendation that one could set the display settings in a
separate prn file. Anyway, it was easier than having to transfer
all the customization from prn to prn to have a separate file I
called "display.prn" (for lack of imagination).
Display.prn is the equivalent of the xy 4 dfl, but I haven't
experimented enough to determine how many DFs the display can
accommodate--before requiring a "simple" DFL.

The advantage of the 3 or 3+ keyboard is that it doesn't require
the huge dlg file: All your commands work direct without the
middleman of another program (it has to be faster as well as
require less memory).

--Chet
---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? Art + write + dtp = chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx