Re: Info on use of NB

At 02:08 PM 5/20/01 -0500, Richard Giering wrote:
>8. Character set NOT interchangable. For example, in XYW there is an
>Umlaut O (upper asnd lower). I have modified the keyboard file to
>insert that character with an CTRL O (upper and Lower). In NB the
>character is CTRL+ALT o and w/shift: O. Since the vast majority of uses
>for these Umlaut characters is in German files for the web site. I have
>a series of program lines that convert the XY umlaut characters to their
>HTML equivalent (e.g. umlaut O is "Ö"). While the key combinations
>to get a display is a MINOR problem, the MAJOR problem is that the
>actual inserted character differs between the two word processors -
>therefor a document prepared under one is NOT interchangable to the
>other nor to a program for the one usable for the other - I need to know
>under which Word processor the document was last edited.

I can't comment on the other problems (as right now, I am using NotaBene
only for faxing), but the umlaut problem is simple: XY uses ASCII, NB uses
ANSI.
As a quick troglodyte solution, you can run a simple search-replace macro,
like the one I am attaching one for you enjoyment, which will work for
German and Scandinavian accents: ans-asc.run, and its counterpart,
asc-ans.run.

 Maybe this
>problem will eventually go away WHEN I am fully converted from XY to NB
>- in the meantime, the incompatability is a severe problem.
>ANNE: I might add that a significant of XY users deal in foreign
>charactersand this incompatability will have very serious implications
>for XYWriters.. There is yet an additional incompatability: in XY some
>CTRL-ALT-SHIFT characters have a unique XPL programming meaning
>diffrerent from NB. For example, CTRL+ALT+SHIFT in XY moves the
>selected information to the command line for execution - in NB
>CTRL+ALT+SHIFT inserts a upper case accent letter E.

-- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo
-- "Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong." (Oscar
Wilde)