Info on use of NB

To XYers who have considered using NB: I have been using the latest
update with some success for over a week (extensive use 6+ hours a day
for about six days). For the most part, I can use it as a replacement
for XYwrite, BUT there are some incompatabilities. I've sent the
following message to NB Tech Support and to Anne Putnam.  I hope the
items are understandable!
The NB Message"
 I have recently updated NB with update 3 and have begun extensive use
(I wold like to wean myself frrom only XYWrite). It will be
dificult!!  I note a number of problems (Bugs???) in using update 3 of
the SWS. Some are very minor, some of marginal importance and some are
of extreme Concern (see item 8).

ANNE: see note addressed to you specifically !

1. XPL programs not working correctly. I have additional testing to do
to verify the problems. I have many extensive XPL programs and I need
to verify the couple of incorrectnesses.
2. Directory list not in alpha order. I'm used to the list being in
alpha order. Is there a DFL setting for this?
3. Scrolling on directory list selects ALL files. I reported this
problem quite some time ago - long before any of the version 5.5
versions came out. The apparent selection is disconcerting as it
appears that only the last "selected" item is really selected.
4. The command to initialize paragraph display (IP) does not carry over
across pages - not always, only sometimes - generally over the first
page break (regular, not with the PG command).
5. Running Heads operate incorrectly - when using BOLD and when editing
them on one of the subsequent pages.
6. What do I do to have a directory list uise full file names for both
display and for selection for editing.
7. Sometimes (most of the time) when editing chart pages, the
horizontal lines do not display. I have a significant number of chart
pages (on my web site) that are constantly changing and this is VERY
annoying when editing them.
8. Character set NOT interchangable. For example, in XYW there is an
Umlaut O (upper asnd lower). I have modified the keyboard file to
insert that character with an CTRL O (upper and Lower). In NB the
character is CTRL+ALT o and w/shift: O. Since the vast majority of uses
for these Umlaut characters is in German files for the web site. I have
a series of program lines that convert the XY umlaut characters to their
HTML equivalent (e.g. umlaut O is "Ö"). While the key combinations
to get a display is a MINOR problem, the MAJOR problem is that the
actual inserted character differs between the two word processors -
therefor a document prepared under one is NOT interchangable to the
other nor to a program for the one usable for the other - I need to know
under which Word processor the document was last edited. Maybe this
problem will eventually go away WHEN I am fully converted from XY to NB
- in the meantime, the incompatability is a severe problem.
ANNE: I might add that a significant of XY users deal in foreign
charactersand this incompatability will have very serious implications
for XYWriters.. There is yet an additional incompatability: in XY some
CTRL-ALT-SHIFT characters have a unique XPL programming meaning
diffrerent from NB. For example, CTRL+ALT+SHIFT in XY moves the
selected information to the command line for execution - in NB
CTRL+ALT+SHIFT inserts a upper case accent letter E.