Re: XyWin not working

Harmon Seaver wrote:
  Oh -- look, w95 and w98 just absolutely need to have their drives
formatted and totally reinstalled at least once a year. Probably once a
month would be better.
Depends on how much and how often you add stuff. I'm reluctant to put anything on a system, so I usually get 2 or 3 years out of a 9x install. On the other hand, we now have to reinstall XP Pro on the office box, which is only about 2 years old. But that goes online, and we get sent Word DOCS and jpgs from totally clueless people who don't know how to use their software and are probably infected with 16 kinds of malware
In our library and computer lab, we actually did
it at least once a week for all the public machines. But then we had an
image stored on a server and one of our students just went around to
each machine and ran a little ap whenever we needed something for them
to do.
Our public library has about half a dozen laptops that people can
borrow within the premises. Also a high-speed (T1, I think)
online connection and a fast Wi-FI hotspot. Whenever one of the
laptops is rebooted, it automatically does a system restore to
the status quo ante. Keeps the machines clean for the library and
makes it possible, for instance, for me to download anything I
want and transfer it to a flash drive to bring home. Well, it
doesn't work with apps like Adobe Reader 8, that require a live
update. And IE continually tries to block downloads of ANYTHING
not from Redmond as "dangerous"!
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx