RE: Win10 upgrade news

Thanks, Daniel.

I ran both Never10 and GWX Control Panel, both of which were easy to use and
seemed effective. As it turned out, I'd managed to avoid letting M$ install
any W10 components on my W7/64 Pro machine, which, in turn, suggested that
my long shut-downs had nothing to do with a lurking W10 process. I've tried
every protocol I could find - disabling services and programs with msconfig,
sweeping for malware. There's seems to be a lot of misinformation on this
problem (several normally reliable sites suggesting registry edits from on
XP -- keys that do not exist in Win7. "Stopping services" still takes 31
seconds. I think my next stop is Windows Performance Toolkit to try to find
out which process is taking so long. At all events, thanks again for the W10
blocking suggestions.

Michael

Behalf
>Of Daniel Say
>Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 7:54 PM
>To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: Win10 upgrade news
>
>> I'm getting updates that either refer directly to Win 10 or are
>> described as preparation for it AND claim to fix some glitch in the
>> Win 7 opsys at the same time. At least one every update cycle. I think
>> they're just launching them monthly. Hope this stops when they finally
>> start charging for W10. I'm about to install GWX to flush my system of
>> any W10 files lurking and waiting.
>
>And there is Never10 from Steve Gibson
>https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
>
>But read the March 2016 Article by Lincoln Spector noting caution, and
Microsoft's own
>Block Windows 10 suggestions.
>
>http://www.pcworld.com/article/2998967/windows/how-to-block-the-windows-10-
>upgrade.html
>
>And you can search for Microsoft's well-hidden troubleshooter package,
KB3073930,