Re: Update on keyboard problem with Xy3 under OS/2

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:39:17 +0900

> I'm willing to entertain suggestions to the contrary, especially
> if they come without an economy-size dose of attitude.

Ah! "Economy size" is small, or large, in your vocabulary? Well, let's
re-examine your enlightening note (since you so deeply resent my saying
that it cast "zero light" -- I don't see any other 'offensive'
statement in my msg). You wrote:

> Renaming the defined keys in the *.kbd file worked at first, but then
> it began to generate some spectaular errors -- random blocks of
> defined text, insertion of spurious MD UL commands at every single
> carriage return in the text, complete rejection of all keyboard input,
> etc. -- so I went back to the original key names.

Doesn't that imply (unequivocally state!) that renaming the keys caused --
"generated" -- those "spectacular errors"? Is it unreasonable to ask you
to clarify what you're saying, as long as you're dispensing 'high tech
info'? Is your statement clear or misleading? In fact it sounded, and
sounds even more loudly now, like you really don't know what's going on,
any more than you did weeks ago; whereas renamed keys is a proven strategy
that many users do know works. You say you went back to the original keys
-- and you drop it there; maybe things improved, maybe they fell apart, who
knows. Vague imputations, hazy understandings.

So "bully for me" isn't quite apropos here, Mr. Carter. More like "shame
on you". You spawn god knows how many messages here, with extended
descriptions of your problems, set a lot of people to thinking and trying
to help you, and you don't even have the grace or wit to acknowledge at
last the handwriting on the wall, that it was caused by an entirely
unrelated program? Not to mention not bothering to disable other running
programs, or delving into CONFIG.SYS, before running to us for help! Instead you
blame renamed keys? And then you complain about my "attitude"?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx