Re: Update on keyboard problem with Xy3 under OS/2

Carl Distefano:
>When you say reinstating your original .KBD file restored things
>from "worse to bad", do you mean that the "spectacular errors"
>(random blocks of defined text, etc., etc.) stopped, and all that
>remained was the original OS/2-related problem of certain shifted-
>key combinations not taking effect?

Yes, sorry for not being clearer. That's exactly what I meant.

The remaining minor problems -- shifted-key combinations not taking
effect -- also went away entirely when I stopped using the RC5DES
client.

>A red flag goes up when you say, "Renaming the defined keys in the
>*.kbd file worked at first...". What happened in the interim?

What I should have said is this: Xy sessions using the *.kbd file
with the renamed shifting keys all began normally but became
completely unusable because of severe keyboard problems within five to
45 minutes. Other software that may have been and probably was
running at the time was Netscape Navigator/2 v2.02, Yarn/2 v0.92, and
the RC5DES PM client. I was probably also logged on to our local
server (OS/2 Warp Server). I made no other changes to the *.kbd file,
though I may have added a word or two to PERS.SPL. I installed no new
software, hardware, fixpaks, or drivers to the OS/2 system.

I've got a Matrox Millennium video card with 8 MB of video RAM and a
21" Nokia monitor; I always use XyWrite in a DOS window on the
desktop.

Since the is problem gone now, I think I'll just stand pat until I get
the new RC5DES client or Xy4DOS.

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Stephen A. Carter High-Tech Information Center Nagoya, Ltd.
 Nagoya, Japan