Re: fonts and kbds

On 04/08/98 at 08:37 PM,
  "Jonathan Beard"  said (in so many words):

<-   The "making the transition" material did not mention this:
<-   the fonts in Signature seem better and more than in XyWrite
<-   4.017. Can I "move" them or otherwise make them accessible in
<-   Over the years, I modified my kbd to do a few things. I could
<-   substitute it for the one loaded by XyWrite 4.017. Would I
<-   lose a lot that way? I already told the installation to make
<-   it look like XyWrite 3.54--which invalidates some of the stuff
<-   in the manuals.

I did the 3+-->Signature--->Xy4 transition many years ago now so my
memory is a little dim but: The fonts are the same, just move them into
the btfonts (that's the standard name I think) directory, which is
pointed to in the settings.dfl file. The kbd stuff, if you have a
customized kbd, can be a nuisance. What I did was devote a couple of
hours to it. I think the best way to do it is to study the their kbd for
Xy4 and see what new features it has that you like and want (there are
handy-dandy new function calls); then starting from your old kbd file add
those to it. That is, recustomize your old kbd. This preserves most of
your old habits and old work and, as a side benefit, gets you familar
with the new functions.

--
                     Regards,
                     David

How can you expect to govern a country that has 246 kinds of cheese?
	--Charles de Gaulle
"What would life be without arithmetic, but a scene of horrors?"
            -Rev. Sydney Smith, letter to young lady, 22 July 1835

David Auerbach              David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
NCSU
Box 8103
Raleigh, 27695-8103