Re: help

** Reply to message from Emery Snyder  on Sun, 26
Jan 2003 13:12:39 -0500

> Could someone send me the generic startup file as shipped with XyWin
> originally so I can use it to start up and figure out what's wrong?

Try to recall what changes you made recently. Configuration? Hardware?

In lieu of a "generic startup file", why not just rename your current one (so
it doesn't load when you launch XyWin), then issue the instructions in it,
one-by-one, manually, to see where you're going wrong -- it's probably
something small and simple. From your description, it sounds printer related,
so likely culprits would be the DFL file (lots of printer instructions there),
and printer files. If you issue different UWF commands, you ought to get some
diagnostic feedback from the system about whether Xy printer files are loading
correctly (UWF 0), or whether Windows printers are being identified correctly
(UWF 2). Does printing from your PS interpreter work? Does printing with
Windows printers from Notepad work?

Seems to me that copying an installation from another machine means you are
going to have to tweak a lot of settings, unless both installs are located on
the same drive and identically configured in every respect. The wrong way to
fix a narrow problem, especially when you had a good configuration that worked
-- throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx