Re: DOS v Win encoding

** Reply to message from Wolfgang Bechstein
 on Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:29:40 +0900

Wolfgang:

> it seems that after all the native
> format of the clipboard in Japanese Windows XP is UTF-16LE (which would
> make it the same as other versions of Windows?)

Correct. Little Endian UTF-16 is what M$ uses internally in
everything. So Japanese Windows ain't so different after all!

CP1200 = UTF-16LE. It is what M$ calls a "managed" CP. Apps
like Word have a "Paste Special" category under the Edit tab
where you can paste UTF-16. What does seem credible to me is
that Japanese Windows may dispense entirely with the single-byte
CF_TEXT Clipboard (since it would be basically useless in a DBCS
environment) and only use the CF_UNICODE clipboard -- or perhaps
default to CF_UNICODE, unlike Western versions. I have this
problem: I can't reproduce your conditions, nor can I see where
your problems with Clip are manifest. Can you give me an exact
scenario where Clip doesn't work? Give me one word you're
trying to copy/paste. What app are you trying to Paste to?
Copy from? An app that I might have...

R.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx