Menu/Help file not loaded error msg . . .

Friends in XyWrite,

Recently had a time of it getting xywwweb.u2 v.119 to load; with handholding from Robert and several days of experimenting I'm up and running. Here's what happened: installed v.119 from a R/W CD that I had written from the web on a system other than my own, as I don't have internet connection where I live. Previously running v.114, all had been going well on my W98 box: HP 6260 from 1999. Suddenly, any access to U2, any use of generates the error referenced above. Robert took apart my http://startup.int , settings.dfl, xy4.kbd--nothing changing the situation despite making (otherwise useful) changes to the files. Beginning to suspect hopeless, or some fatal error in my set up, though a previous version had worked. What's going on? I was enjoying the process, felt honored to have Robert working so diligently with me, noticed that he was irritated with the process and felt bad about that. Then, in his last post, among other suggestions, he directed me to query the attributes in DOS, and I found the U2 file to be read only! The point here is that to any helpfile, the first time it's loaded, XY4-DOS appends an index of its frames to the end of the file which it then consults with each access, changes with additions. This end index is not visible in XY4 and can only be viewed in an OS-level viewer, such as http://LIST.COM, or the list command in 4DOS (as on my system). The index could never be written, because the file was read only! I changed that (at DOS prompt: attrib -R c:\xy4\xywwweb.u2) and, PRESTO, everything worked. The sigh of relief could be heard across the world; I wonder if any of you noticed it. Turns out, the MacOS 9.2 computer I was using for the download and write to CD set the attrib bit to Read Only. Caveat XyWriter! Hope this may help someone else some day.

Fred Weiner