OT: Lean and mean XP for a 256K machine

In my eternal quest for the affordable ultraportable to replace my beloved but USB-deprived Toshiba Libretto 70CT, I picked up a used Fujitsu P1120 on Ebay.

800 Mhz and 256K RAM (not, alas, upgradeable). It comes with Win XP Pro, which claims only 128K RAM for its system requirements. Yeah, right.

Of course XY4  runs with its accustomed alacrity. No TAME needed for good cursor response, either.

But Web pages load with dreadful sloth. It's not the wireless connection--simple downloading  proceeds at the same speed as my faster laptop. The problem is that webpage images take forever.

My guess is that it's that low amount of memory. Can any of the computer geniuses here suggest things that are taking up RAM and ways to prevent them from loading, or other ways to make web browsing more efficient? (Please don't suggest not loading images--I thought of that already, but many sites I use depend on images for navigation.)

I would guess there are things loaded into memory like fonts (which I am stripping to the minimum), as well as services that don't need to be running. (I've already taken everything I can out of Startup with msconfig.) But I'd appreciate advice from those who know more.

Another idea is to do a dual-boot with Windows 98SE, a better XY4 environment, if I can find drivers for the Fujitsu hardware. But that's a different can of worms. I'd rather tweak XP if possible.

Jon Pareles

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ