Re: Xy as database handler? - Free Xy source!

Kari Eveli wrote:

Maybe. Use some kind of database software.
I still use dBase 5 for DOS (runs under all versions of Windows,
including Vista). But it's not good at outputting data beyond
some fairly simple things. Borland claimed to have included some
powerful output routines, but the docs are a pack of lies. And
dBase for Windows won't run even under W98.

The tragic fact is that as far as I can see there are no good
database programs. None that don't cost a fortune anyway. And
absolutely none with decent documentation.
> Personally, I have used DOS Clipper<

Tried that years ago. Had no interactive mode (as dBase does):
one had to write a program and run it to see if it did what one
wanted, rather than trying out commands directly to see which
ones to incorporate in the PM.

>to process XyWrite output for use in publishing software.

Actually, there was an "XyBase" or something that was supposed to
do that. I found a flyer from XyQuest, touting that and other Xy
add-ons, a few months ago, but whether I saved it or tossed it I
cannot recall.

>If Xy source code were available, Xywrite could easily do all >the preprocessing and formatting. If XyQuest had developed >publishing extensions instead of the IBM deal, they could still
>be in business. But as things stand now, Xy aficionados should
>be able to tinker with the source code instead of trying to
>figure out XPL extensions. The source code exists, but is >unavailable. Free Xy source!
Yes. Instead of "abandonware" we should call it
"dog-in-a-manger-ware."

 -- Patricia M. Godfrey priscamg@xxxxxxxx