Re: XPL: Things executing instead of displaying/printing

Harry:
Recently, in my programs, things that are supposed to go on the CM line or even the PRompt line have been showing up in other places: in the text or executed. I'm puzzled as to why this is happening.
Sounds like a very basic coding error -- missing func BC, errant func
GT, malformed PRompt statement (unbalanced guillemets), or the like.
Run frames IFEI and SYNTAX against your code, in addition to giving it
a thorough eyeballing.
You may also have Save/Get clashes. If you're making calls to U2
routines, make sure that your parent routine's S/Gs aren't overwriting
the child routine's S/Gs, and vice versa. Run CHKSEQ against any
routine to identify the S/G sequences (ranges) used in that routine.
I also am sometimes getting ascii 01 in the text.
What you have there is a mismatch in variable types, viz, a value
saved (SX) as a number but later handled as though it had been saved
(SV) as a string. For example, run this against an open file:

GT
What's written to screen is "9{Ascii-1}" instead of simply "9" (Editor internally flags numeric expressions by appending {Ascii-1} to the value's string representation). The solution is either:

GT  (save string [SV] instead of save expression [SX])

or

GT > (convert expression to string)
 And, on occasion, the program stops and the XyWWWEB.INF help screen appears.
Clearly a coding error of some kind. Can't diagnose further without
seeing actual code.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx