DOS /c problems in Win2K

Hello again. (If Robert can reappear, then so can I.)
My wife is running Xy4DOS on Win2k. Everything works as it does under win9x, except for my routine to remove the end-of-file 1A. That routine shells out to DOS to use the "copy" command with the right switches.

For win2k (vs. win9x) the following command in Xy doesn't remove the 1A:

    dos /c copy /a file1 file2 /b
It produces file2, to be sure, but file2 has its own 1A at the end. Yet the above is what has worked consistently in w95 and w98.

Note: the copy part:
    copy /a file1 file2 /b
works fine to remove the 1A when I run it under win2k at the C: prompt. It just doesn't eliminate the 1A when invoked from Xy.

Advice, anyone?

Thanks,
Harry

Harry Binswanger