Re: Problem with graphics view...?

On Mon, 29 May 2006 23:30:39 -0400, Robert Holmgren
 wrote:
>>(I do indeed get a frozen screen if I Alt-Enter
while >>in Graphics view -- I think this is very tough
on the >>video adapter).
Maybe it depends on the video adapter. I happened to
get this at the office this morning and checked it on
the PC there. Pathetically underpowered system, but
guess what? I pulled up a file, slapped margins and a
UF format on it, Picked a printer, went to graphics
view (still have this loaded to Shift-F8 on my
keyboard). The thing I noticed immediately was that
there was no sickening five seconds of blank screen: it
switched over instanter. Then I hit alt-enter. Voila!
Graphics mode in a window, no freeze, everything
handsome about it.
Tried it on another underpowered system. No go. Got an
error message from BBBG: "You cannot run this graphics
[sic] application in a window. The application will be
suspended until you switch to full screen by pressing
Alt-Enter. Check the properties to ensure they are
correct." And Alt-enter did nothing. Had to back out
with the 3-fingered salute and End Task.
Checked Xy's properties on both systems, changed
Screen: Initial size from 25 lines to default on the 2d
system, and Memory Initial Environment 10 1024 and EMS
to 4096 to match those on the one where it worked, and
tried again. Still no go.
Next I looked at hardware. The system where it worked
is a PCCHips mobo (M810L) with AMI BIOS dated
9-13-2002, an AMD Duron CPU (1.1 MHz), 256 Mb RAM, and
onboard VGA with SisS 730 Rev. 31, with 16 Mb of SHARED
RAM. The one where it didn't had a Trident VGA; so does
my Tpad laptop, where the same error message and lockup
occurred.
I'm going to try it here on the ASRock box, but want to
send this first in case I get locked up and it takes me
the rest of the evening to get back in. PLEASE, if
anyone else has SIS video, please try this and see if
it works.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx