WC wildcard

I'm using XyWrite 3.54 on a daily basis. The text files I use have
characters near the carriage return, which characters need to be
replace with other text. I'm trying to get the XPL program I'm writing
to recognize a carriage return using the WC wildcard character (carriage
return) (pfunc WC). Every time I save the file the WC character turns
into something else. Has anyone experienced this problem? I've also
inserted the musical note (ASCII 8?) and ASCII 13? into the program
without success. I can get the command line to recognize a carriage
return with Ctrl-Enter but it would help if I could include the routine
in the macro itself.

Thanks,
Alistair Saldanha
--