Re: Firefox add-on deprecation plan + Window 10

Non XyWrite but we all run a browser or two.

In addition to Kari's recent post

I run Mozilla "Nightly" which is updated everyday
https://nightly.mozilla.org/   it's currently Version 43.0a1 (2015-08-22)

Recently the new signed addons "feature" was introduced which disabled all unsigned addons not downloaded direct from Mozilla

Very soon all Firefox users will face their addons being blocked from running unless signed directly from Mozilla

To fix this

In about:config     search for "signatures" and make it FALSE  (double click "true")  All your addons will happily return (for now)

xpinstall.signatures.required;false   was true  on 2015 Aug 12

and for the Windows 10 "spy"ware problem

Use at your own risk. The links to check the provenance below

From the Ztree Forum

http://www.ztw3.com/forum/forum.php

How to disable Windows 10 "spy"ware

From the Ztree Forum and one of the article comments from "the register"

This is for all the Windows 10 Testers.

A good tweak tool, small, portable and free.

http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10  This is for all the Windows 10 Testers.

A good tweak tool, small, portable and free.

http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

http://www.ztw3.com/forum/forum_entry.php?id=119129

I have been tracking other utils that do this as well. I found this one.

http://wintoflash.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42296&p=48250
http://WinToFlash.com/
(c) Novicorp, 2015. Freeware.

"Remove Windows 10 Spying Features" is a simple tweaker application that aims to solve this problem fast and clear.

Key features of the app:
- Delete "Diagnostics Tracking", "WAP Push Message" Services and Keylogger
feature
- Disable domains for feedback
- Ban user specified unwanted domains
- Disable Unwanted scheduled tasks
- Remove unwanted Windows 10 Metro apps
- Disable AdvertisingID
- Disable websites to access your language list
- Disable speech, inking and typing knowing (disable Cortana)
- Disable web search in the search box
- Can add your own lines into the "hosts" file during the process
- Creates Restore Point to support rollback
- Free system resources like memory and CPU time; this makes notebooks to run a
little more time on the battery power
- It's multilanguage: English, Chinese, German, Russian
- Language autoselection on the app startup

- Small size, less than 400Kb
- It's 100% free, without ads and hidden activity

This tool shows what it is doing (or at least documents the manual approach).

I like how O&O's version allows for a backout procedure.

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/user/16307/
Re: So...  http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2015/08/18/mozilla_testing_iveryi_private_browsing_mode/

Dunno if this helps...

Privacy settings - background apps - disable all of them

Turning off Settings -> System -> Notifications and actions -> "Show me tips about Windows" - disable

Settings - Diagnostic and usage data: Basic

Regedit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection

There you need to create a new a 32-bit DWORD value named AllowTelemetry and set it to 0.

Services.msc (disable these) - Diagnostics Tracking Service / dmwappushsvc

HOST File

#Windows 10 Privacy Blocker#

0.0.0.0 vortex.data.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 vortex-win.data.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

0.0.0.0 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com

0..0.0.0 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

0.0.0.0 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

0.0.0.0 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

0.0.0.0 redir.metaservices.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 choice.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

0.0.0.0 df.telemetry.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 telemetry.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net

0.0.0.0 telemetry.urs.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net:443

0.0.0.0 settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 survey.watson.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 watson.live.com

0.0.0.0 watson.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 compatexchange.cloudapp.net

0.0.0.0 cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net

0.0.0.0 a-0001.a-msedge.net

0.0.0.0 statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net

0.0.0.0 diagnostics.support.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 corp.sts.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 pre.footprintpredict.com

0.0.0.0 i1.services.social.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

0.0.0.0 feedback.windows.com

0.0.0.0 feedback.microsoft-hohm.com

0.0.0.0 feedback.search.microsoft.com

0.0.0.0 bingads.microsoft.com