Re: Is XY-Write a word-processor or a text editor?

I hope that everyone agrees by now that the answer
to the question the subject asks is yes. ...

	XyWrite 3.52 was the best, but
	I use 3.56 because it has the British
	spelling dictionary. It won't do
	automatic text replace, though. 	--Steve Hayes

I used v3.52 for years and am *very* curious
to know precisely what makes you condider that
release superior to 3.56.

	Disagree. The fabled 3.55 was the best
	of 3-series. The AR function was killed
	*after* that, although their were some
	user-hacks to get around this. 		--Jordan Fox

I never used v3.55, but I understand that that
was the release that introduced the single most
important xpl advance ever, string parsing.

A perplexingly big deal has been made of the
crippled autoreplace in releases after v3.55.
As has been noted on this list again and again:

Autoreplace in later xyW3 works transparently
with simple, one-time user intervention. Just
prefix AR to five custom kbd entries:

	57=AR,[space]
	28=AR,[ascii 13 (carriage return)]
	12=AR,-
	40=AR,'
	53=AR,/

--hyphen, apostrophe, and slash because they may
occur within what xyW3.56 and later consider to
be a word. If--like xyW4--the releases of v3 that
autoreplace without kbd edits treat the chars
on each side of a hyphen as a separate word, then
the later v3 releases are superior to v3.55. ... Ciao. 	--a

	xyWrite 3 supplements !xyWise and !xyWiz +
	Wolfgang Bechstein's seafaring adventures: