Re: Stopping USB drives from XY4

Harry
I have always kept one backup disconnected from the computer (or in the case of a floppy not in the drive) so that in the worst case where something horrible attacks my computer, I have at least one copy it cannot reach. That may be taking security too far but it suits me. For that reason I can't have both USB drive plugged in at the same time.
Aha. I do something similar: I backup onto an external drive connected by
firewire. I've learned I can just yank out the plug, where it inserts into
the computer, and forget the "safely remove" crap. Sure, in principle it
might not have written something from its buffer to the hard drive, but I
can take that risk, in a backup drive. And I do a DIR of the backup drive
first, just in the hope that will get it to write from its buffers if it
hasn't already. That's probably mysticism.

I backup by using a BATch file, the last line of which is:

date > %backup_drive:\today
So if the backup drive shows a file named TODAY, with the current date, then I have reason to think it has written everything to disk.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx