Re: typestyle of punctuation

At 19:21 Uhr -0500 04.04.2002, WooF wrote:
>Again: the custom is probably (I'm guessing here) done originally
>to avoid having a period or a comma surrounded by white space --
>which, on an old-fashioned letter-press, would either punch a
>hole in the printed-on paper or risk snapping off the tip of the
>lead type-face because of concentrated pressure at that point.

In that case, there is no reason to continue it today?

Just for reference, in German, the rule has always been (sensibly) that
punctuation comes after the narration mark. Maybe German paper is stronger?

-- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo (rrr @ twics.com)
-- "The power of accurate observation is commonly called
-- cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw