XY DOS Network Printing (Windows)

This is probably more of a Windows question than XY, but
here goes:

I've got XY4 DOS running on a Windows 2000 workstation
which is on a peer network. I want XY to print to a network
printer, i.e., one connected to another workstation (the W2K
workstation has no attached printer of its own). I have
several network printers set up in W2K , and they work fine
for Windows applications.

However, XY needs to specify a printer port in
settings.dfl. Let's say we specify LPT1. How then does W2K
know to route jobs for LPT1 to the particular network
printer that I want to use?

This problem does not come up in OS/2, because there when
you establish a connection to a network printer you get to
specify the port (LPT1, LPT2, etc.) that you want the
connection to alias to. But so far as I can see, Windows
(NT and 2K) does not provide any way to do this.

I've tried specifying the sharename and UNC
(\\computer\printer) of the network printer in settings.dfl,
but they don't seem to work there.

Is there perhaps a command to put into XY's config file
that runs when XY loads? Something like NET ALIAS (although
that's not supported by Windows)? I've tried SET
LPT1=\\computer\printer, without success.

Or is there some trick to specifying the network printer in
settings.dfl?

Many thanks.

Tom Hawley
tjh@xxxxxxxx