Re: XY DOS Network Printing (Windows)

This is probably more of a Windows question than XY, but
here goes:

I've got XY4 DOS running on a Windows 2000 workstation
which is on a peer network. I want XY to print to a network
printer, i.e., one connected to another workstation (the W2K
workstation has no attached printer of its own). I have
several network printers set up in W2K , and they work fine
for Windows applications.
If I understand your problem, the solution is fairly simple. In the
settings.dfl file, set your desired printer to be, say, LPT3. Keep the
rest of the line the same (including where you tell it to look for the
relevant .prn file). Since you are, in effect, adding another printer,
don't forget to increment by one the value of PP: that precedes the
printer assignments in settings.dfl. Then you go into Windows,
Printers, select (or add) the relevant printer, go Properties of it,
then to the tab labeled Details, and set the port to LPT3. I'm not
crystal clear on how to do the Windows part, but I messed around in
Details and Capture Port and whatnot until I got it.
Then you set the LPT3 printer in Xy to be the default. I do that by
using the SH function to call the menus, then going to File, Printer
Setup, and selecting the printer. I've got that all loaded onto a tiny
XPL program that is assigned to a key. There's probably a better way.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx