Re: Reverse-order printing [Was: Printers/XyWrite 3+/OS2 v

Not to beat the poor departed beast but the upgrade is pretty
painless. None of us really enjoy taking the time to feed the disk
drive and feel the anxiety but it really is better (I put it off for
as long as I could but -- NB -- I had no choice because Xy3 started
seizing up regularly under OS/2. The install isn't great -- it's
kind of antiquated -- but it has the virtue that if you choose the
vanilla install it won't be disastrous. I would recommend choosing
the regular Xy4 interface. You can always choose to go back. Also,
do NOT enable "document information" -- this will append lots of
garbage at the end of your files which are a big pita to get rid of.

Otherwise, unless you have scads of minutely detailed XPL programs,
you shouldn't have any problems. Play around with the keyboards --
believe it or not, you'll probably be better off starting with the
Xy4 keyboard and importing your own assignments -- plus you can start
anew and not have a keyboard crowded with all those old ;'d out
assignments.

There isn't a single thing I miss (although I still find myself
hitting F2 to change savegets) and there are manifold advantages, eg
being able to do things like change screen attributes with the
Preferences menu, as opposed to having to remember what
comma-delimited value changes which screen-area appearance; or being
able to insert nonstand ASCII characters via a menu instead of having
to look up the values in the manual. The only other things I didn't
like were: the sudden appearance of the "Alt-key Flashing CUA Menu,"
but I managed to get rid of this -- how, I don't remember, perhaps
someone else will; and the scroll bars which I didn't mind in
principle but hated how they looked -- took about a minute to change
these.

BTW, I don't think that Xy3 has any fewer bugs than Xy4 (or did you
mean XyWin?), it's just that Xy4's are, um, pending.

On Sun, 12 Jan 97 21:36:14 EST, Pienciak wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Jan 1997 19:10:04 +0900 (JST) Rene wrote:
>

>>Robert Holmgren:
>>>Look, you've got a problem, and the upgrade resolves it. That's what
>>>upgrades are for. Do it and get it over with.
>>
>>Uh, is switching from from III+ to IV really just a matter of
>>"doing it and getting it over with"? What about all the converting
>>and changing? Why does IV come with a whole booklet called "making the
>>transition"? And what about those IV bugs that are mentioned ever
>>so often on this list?
>>
>>Just asking... if you convince me that it is really just a matter
>>of a simple "upgrade", I too might (after years) take if off the
>>bookshelf and install it.
>>

>>-- Rene
>

>Granted if XY4 solves the reverse printed page problem and
>all else fails I will go to XY4. Solving the page order
>problem is that crucial to me. But that doesn't mean that I
>will somehow avoid all the bugs and bruises we all read
>about on the list re XY4 that I don't deal with in XY3.
>Whatever bugs there are in 3+ I cannot cite one that hits
>me. What is suggested as *the* obvious solution strikes me
>as a less than perfect Hobson's choice. I realize life is
>full of tradeoffs. I guess I was hoping (still am) that
>there's another option.
>
>thanks to everyone for their help.
>rick pienciak
>pienciak@xxxxxxxx