Re: XyWrite IV on Vista

Robert Holmgren wrote:

1) Memory management is excellent. Tame is not necessary;
That's been my experience too. Home Ultimate, 1G of RAM (and part of it allocated to mboard VGA), 1.75GH CPU, but NO jerkiness, no crashes (which, to tell the truth, I've rarely gotten expect on 98; but then I don't push the envelope).
3) Cursor behavior in a Desktop "DOS" window seems to be smooth
and hesitation-free. Granted, I had to strain to see the
"jerkiness" on my other machines (whereas it was blatantly
apparent to some other users),
It definitely differed from machine to machine. Hence my
gut-level conviction that hardware or drivers were involved.

One last observation: Vista seems always to issue a warning
when I install legacy programs on this box. That warning is
triggered because the program is not officially supported by
Microsoft.
No surprise there. But I did once install something really ancient (don't remember what), got no warning, but it wouldn't load. And there are the apps that work fine, but you cannot (without submitting to WGA) run the Help Files
Thanks for that very useful rundown. My synopsis is that Vista
isn't as bad as the bashers make it, but nowhere as great as
Miscrosludge wants you to think.
P.S. dBase 5 for DOS also runs well, once you fix the screen
colors (which you had to do in everything from 2K on).

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx