From: mailto:nsivin@xxxxxxxx; title=nsivin@xxxxxxxx>Nathan Sivin
Subject: XyWrite + Win98SE glitch

I have just set up a new computer, and have run into a very odd
glitch. I am hoping that those familiar with Win98SE will have
some suggestion, and that those who disapprove of Windows will
not burden the list with excoriations, Itoldyousos, etc.

I use the latest versions of both XYDOS and XYWIN. If I want to
edit an existing file, I start the program by locating the file
in Explorer (actually PowerDesk) and clicking on it. Each such
file has an extension associated with the pertinent program
(e.g., *.xy for XYDOS). This posed no problem on my previous
computer with Win95 OSR2. It poses no problem with XyWin. But for
XYDOS files, selecting one of them starts the program from the
same directory as the file is in, rather than from C:\XY.
Therefore EDITOR.EXE can't find STARTUP.INT, and it starts up
crippled. I can correct the problem each time with CD \XY and
then RUN STARTUP.INT, but that is not much of a solution.

I tried editing the file association so that instead of
C:\XY\EDITOR.EXE
it reads
C:\XY\EDITOR.EXE ,C:\XY\STARTUP.INT
That gets XYDOS up and running correctly, but the problem is that
it doesn't open the file that I clicked on. In a DOS command, the
filespec would come just before the comma. If I put a question
mark there, it would query me for the filespec. But either
modification is no faster than starting up XY and then opening
the file with the CA command.

Suggestions welcome!

Cheers,
--