Re: NB Beta?

NB 8 Beta can't do long filenames. This is quite surprising and disappointing.

I believe it can, Harry. See attached.
That's "doing long filenames" the way Xy does in Win9x, the way that
produces a short filename with a tilde and a number.

When I do a DIR, your file comes up as THIS_I~1.NB. Xy4DOS can do that.
And if you want to use NB to SAve a file named 123456789.NB, NB simply won't let you. It produces an error box saying: "Too many letters in file name."

I'm pretty sure U2 has a better workaround for LFNs than this!
Also re NB 8 Beta, I very often get into a situation in which the cursor won't go to the command line without mousing it there. The keystroke that puts out BC simply doesn't work in several situations--e.g., just after the error box mentioned above comes up. If I use the mouse to insert a cursor on the command line, functionality is restored.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx