Re: RE save (backup)

Patricia M Godfrey wrote:

> Michael Norman wrote ≪Patricia talked about Seagate drives≫

I think I provided a link here some time ago (which info is a bit dated by
now) about the relative quality and longevity of different hard drives,
authored by some senior tech at a company that does data recovery and had
some heavy statistics about which ones fail and why. Seagate -- certain
series, anyway -- had the best rated *at that time.* WD had not fared very
well in the rankings. Again, as I said, a lot of this info was at least a
couple years old. Things change. I've never had a SCSI drive that died --
the closest was that one began making disturbing screeching noises, but
still worked fine. The IBM SCSI line was very highly regarded. Then, the
division was sold to Fujitsu. I always bought the UltraStar line, which I
think was a better series, and only while IBM still manufactured them, but
I've recently been hearing the ex-IBM, now Fujitsu DeskStar line referred
to as "DeathStars."

> No, no, Western Digital. . . .  WD behaved in an
> honorable and integritous way that is rare in this or any industry. And
> their stuff is, in my experience, very reliable.

I'm glad to hear that, since I recently bought a couple of the WD 80G
Caviar Special Editions, with 8mb. cache. There are very few models you
can buy now that still offer a 3 year warranty, and this is one of the
few. Pretty zippy for a 7200 rpm, too. If you look on Techbargains.Com
right now, I think someone is selling these with a rebate that brings the
cost down to 50 bucks.

Jordan