Linux

> Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 23:08:25 -0500 (EST)
>
> Re the problems in installing linux--my wife knows Unix, would that
> make it a breeze, or only easier?
>
> Harry Binswanger
> hb@xxxxxxxx

Definitely easier: Linux is another Unix, & it helps to know the Unix
filesystem.

A breeze? That depends on too many factors to say.

One is hardware. Someone (Mike Shupp?) has said that Linux lags
behind Windows, but it does so only in the sense that some hardware
makers lag by continuing to keep their code secret. Linux or
Windows, you're better off with hardware that Linux recognizes. The
laggards pose a handicap only in special cases.

Anyhow, you really must know your hardware -- but that's only a dozen
components even counting case & keyboard.

Someone else (Nathan?) asked about the learning curve. I find Unix
far more logical than DOS/Windows. See the little book _Learning the
UNIX Operating System_ (4e 1998 O'Reilly) & within hours you'll be
under way.

Nathan did ask about installing only needed parts of Linux. Sure, it
can be done. However, storage is cheap, & it's easier & safer to
load the whole distribution (yes, 'configure' & 'enable' may often be
postponed).

Linux mailing lists are full of examples -- people who don't install
the C compiler on the ground that they're not programmers, not
realizing that Linux needs the compiler for its own internal
purposes.

Maybe I should add that I evaded problems of partitioning by
installing a second hard drive where Linux rules in solitary
splendor. Mine is a dual-boot system, loading Linux first -- thus
encouraging me to stay in Linux. . . . Yes, I need Win to run
XyWrite, but just now I don't require Xy very much. That will
change, but by then I hope to be ready with DOSEmu.

Finally, a note of great appeal to me: Windows hides things from the
user. Linux doesn't.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle