Re: Linux

** Reply to note from Mike Shupp Tue, 09 Nov 1999 14:22:19 -0800

> Some equipment works with Linux right out
> of the box-- most external modems, for example-- and some doesn't
> work with Linux and probably never will because it was deliberately
> aimed at the Windows market. Most internal modems, for instance,
> and most of those under-$100 printers.

Lucent has written a Linux driver for Winmodems. There's a Lucent chip Winmodem
driver for OS/2 also (commissioned by IBM), although last time I tested it was
limited to 33.6Kbps throughput. For Linux, follow the links at www.slashdot.org;
for OS/2, look in Hobbes for /pub/os2/system/drivers/modem/ltm_554.zip (it works
just fine -- Winmodems are garbage, but general users might not notice the speed
and CPU penalties vis-a-vis a "real" modem; and if you don't have a PC Card modem
for your notebook, the built-in Winmodem is a fallback option).

I think the suggestion that one needs to keep DOS around to run XyWrite
(instead of under Linux) is wrong. XyWrite runs extremely well under DOSEMU.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx