Re: Email Issues (Off-Topic)

--- Thomas J Hawley  wrote:

> There's just no way that deleting a message from an
> ISP's SMTP server could
> cause the SMTP server to send a gif or anything else
> back to the sender.

That's what I thought, and that's what I've been doing
in most cases -- checking most or all of the
checkboxes on the server, and deleting this crap en
masse. As such, it is unopened. Can't see how that
would report back anything to anyone.

One other good thing about at least one of the
web-interface email gateways I'm using is that it
allows me to blacklist senders' domains, so nothing
further will be accepted from them. Unfortunately,
they limit this to 500 entries, and I must be very
close to that number by now. But the spammers, of
course, tend to go through domains like cold sufferers
do a box of Kleenex. This particular filtering
function is one thing the Bayesian (or any other
decent) filters should still be good for, though.
Another mail gateway I use seems to have some kind of
learning function built in (without relying on a
finite-size list), according to what you zap as being
spam. But it is hard for me to guage just how
effective it is.

Jordan