Re: WLAN insecurity

"Robert Holmgren"  wrote:

> You can replace the firmware in many APs (WiFi
> access points) with European firmwares, to unthrottle the beast
> inside and double or triple your output in dB. The result is a
> signal that can travel kilometers. N.B.: It's illegal to do
> this in the USA.

I did this in Australia, to beam the signal out to my boat in the bay.
It's illegal there too, and worked like a charm, in combination with an Avaya
(same as Orinoco) card tethered to a directional panel antenna. Of
course, I had MAC address filtering etc. enabled, although I didn't spot many
"war-cruising" vessels in the vicinity...

Wolfgang Bechstein
bechstein@xxxxxxxx