Re: WLAN insecurity

Jordan, et al,

≪As a practical matter, I would think there must be a
significant difference between periodically getting
on, taking care of your email or online research, then
getting off . . . vs., say, downloading whole movies
(even at broadband speeds). In the latter situation,
you'd be more of a sitting target for this, no ≫
Yes indeed. Many broadband/DSL links these days are always on (flat rate billing made this viable). There's the rub. I turn my router off when I go to bed.
Ah yes, yagi directional antennas with miles and miles of land between
you and your own yacht anchored peacefully in your own bay.... Such
stuff as dreams are made on.
Speaking of brute force WLAN security measures: why not melt down your
local cracker/war driver's machinery when he gets too close to your
WLAN by irradiating him with highly charged particles? Declare your own
NO GO zone. Now that would really put you on the map! (Say, are those
Rangers creeping up on my lawn?)

PS Philosophical aside: I have found that those who claim that virtue is its own reward seldom also think that vice is its own punishment.