shortcuts in fiction

> Well, this isn't keyboard modification, but don't you use the
> autocorrect spelling function to avoid having to type long phrases (or
> names) that come up repeatedly? Let's say you have a Lord and Lady
> Mannington-Crumblethorpe in a story. You don't want to type _that_ 10
> times in a chapeter

You know, I've tried that but it gets in the way of my creative stream because
I have to think to use it. I don't mind leaving typos behind in my wake because
I only have to produce one finished piece of work about every ten months.

I did use it in the book that's coming out next year because it was something
like that. Right now I'm blanking on what it was -- she was a minor character --
 but I ended up using h-b -- Mrs. Hatleigh-Bolton or something, with husband
and two little h-b's -- but I fixed it at the end with change rather than
setting it up to fill it in as I went.. I can certainly see how it would be
useful for frequent short pieces with repeating and lengthy names.

I think there's another aspect as well. The flow and rhythm of the words is
very important to me and I think I'm subconsciously aware of it as I choose
words, so abbreviations would throw it off.

Any other fiction writers here?

Jo