Re: Off topic--spam, why does it work?

Re tracking down spammers, Jordan wrote:
They usually go to great lengths to conceal their true identities and true
locations, perhaps because a lot of what they are selling is utterly worthless -- even if you exclude the many offers that are outright fraud. Also, the methods by
which they are disseminating their messages are deceptive, may be borderline
illegal, and definitely violate the rules of umpteen ISPs. Given those
circumstances, if you were doing this, how easily would you care to be found ?
So even though they are collecting money at some definable location, that
can't be tracked? Is it that the "location" is in cyberspace--e.g., a
merchant account for credit-card transactions going to a P.O. box or
something? I don't mean to belabor this topic. It just seems to me that the
charge will ultimately appear on your credit-card statement, and Visa or
whichever company knows who is getting it.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx