RE: Xy3 text into Outlook E-mail

Peter,

It's a pretty basic function for an email program to import an ASCII (or
ANSI) file. If Outlook doesn't do that, there's something wrong with
Outlook. (I will admit that XyWrite puts an end-of-file code at the bottom
of the file which sometimes crashes a few mail readers.)

Can you import non-XyWrite ASCII files? Try creating an ASCII file in DOS,
with dir *.* > save.tmp or something.

Can you import *anything* into Outlook? What happens if you download an
abstract from Medline and try to import that into Outlook? What happens if
you create a file with Notepad and try to import that?

I think the strategy should be to convert the problem into one that doesn't
involve XyWrite, and is created when you use MS products only, so that you
can show it to your tech support people, and eliminate that excuse for not
solving it.

I don't think mail.prn has anything to do with this problem (although
printer drivers sometimes create funny codes).

Norman

At 09:50 PM 12/1/99 -0000, Peter Brown wrote:

>	It's even worse than I remembered. When I try to insert the file as
>text (Insert-File-File as text only-click on file name), nothing appears in
>the E-mail text window of Outlook, and Outlook crashes (!). I then back out
>of Outlook with Ctrl-Alt-Delete and End Program. (Now I remember why I quit
>doing this some time ago.)
>
>	BTW, the imported file in question is created with the old XyQuest
>"printer driver" called mail.prn (as I mentioned, perhaps too briefly in
>passing, in my earlier post).

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D
New York, NY 10019