Re: Off-topic request for assistance

EVT:

>Can anyone recommend a good book on Surviving the Transition
>from Win3.x to Win98?

I think that books that try hard to explain one system in terms of another
may not be helpful. For one thing, they're likely to spend a lot of time
explaining how ghastly but avoidable ingredient of system B compares with
corresponding ghastly but avoidable ingredient of system A -- whereas you
may well have worked out alternatives for yourself. (In my case, I never
used File Manager and I virtually never use the bit of Explorer that's
called Explorer.) Just make the jump and keep your wits about you. It
will be confusing at first, but you'll soon figure it out. A good book
about Win98, though without particular reference to Win31 or 95, is Brian
Livingston and Davis Straub's *Windows 98 Secrets*.

>Can anyone recommend an
>e-mail "forwarding" service which they've found reliable?

I'm knowledgably and reliably informed that Lycosmail (now Mailcity) does
what you want, and does it free and well. To find it, just go to
http://www.lycos.com/ and dig around for "free mail service" or similar.
(Burp.)

NS:

>Why not get rid of Win 98 and install either Win
>NT or Win 95 OSR2?

I can't think of any advantage of 95 OSR2 over 98. If you're going to
install NT, you might as well ask around a bit and you'll probably find
somebody who has 2000.

>2. Re ISP's, I would hesitate to sign up for one of the
>free email accounts so widely on offer. They (e.g.,
>Hotmail) generally tack an ad on to every email message.

Perhaps Hotmail acts as an ISP in the US. I don't know as I haven't
investigated. But its standard service is not that of an ISP: to use
Hotmail in the way that most people do, you must already have internet
access, e.g. through a conventional ISP. Hotmail does not append an advert
(other than a minimal and ignorable one, for itself) to messages that it
sends.
Peter Evans