Re: mac filing system

My mac is a nice light package that I can carry and use easily. I guess the
most significant single feature is the charger, which will plug directly
into the wall and fits in my shirt pocket. All the windows laptops I know
of, on the other hand, have a charger with a five or six foot cord that
plugs into another five or six foot cord before it gets to the wall. The
bundle is a nuisance to pack and carry, to assemble and disassemble and,
when I'm not travelling, it makes a coil of wire under my desk to catch
dust. At this moment I have wall plegs within four feet on each side of me,
and I don't know anyone who actually needs 12 feet of cord.
Maybe I'm over-reacting, but it's the monumental stupidity of this that
repels me. I guess the people who design windows laptops have been bitten by
some kind of bug that prevents rational thought.

The mac also has better battery life than most windows machines.
On the other hand my mac, with OS 10, can't handle pictures. Last spring I spent 5 - 6 weeks travelling through Enland and Australia doing a series of magazine articles, and I came back with about a thousand digital pictures. The mac dumped them all in one file, and it spent several minutes loading that file every time I wanted to look at one picture. Worse, with the mac it's a real drage to edit pictures. It keeps them all in a central library and while you can sort them into 'albums' the pictures are still in the central library, and when you throw them out of the album they are still in the library. That means you have to do your editing in the central library which, because it has more pictures than it can handle, is very slow.
Same thing with emails. it will sort them into 'folders,' but if you delete
them from the folders they remain in the 'lihbrary.'
I'm told the new macs are a bit better at this, but I would not bet that
they don't have comparable problems in some other area.
I'm thinking of the dell 10" even though I will have to carry a separate CD
drive. On the spring trip one of the English stories had to be delivered
immediately, and I put story and pictures together on a disc which I mailed.
Later in the trip I sold the same pictures to another editor, (one was in
England,. the other in New Zealand, so they didn't mind) and again,
delivered them on disc. As I travelled, I gave some of the people who helped
me discs of the pictures they had been involved with.
One advantage of the dell -- besides the long battery life, it's small
enough to use on an airline seat table. I bet I couldn't open the 15"
Toshiba I'm typing this on in a plane.

andy t
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Norman"
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2009 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: mac filing system
I'm trying to decide on a new laptop, Win or Mac. I have a
ThinkPadT41, a tank that still runs well, save for the Wifi adaptor.
(I use a PCMCIA card as a jury-rig.) I'm weighing the TP301 against
the Macbook Pro 13-inch. The Mac hardware is clearly inferior -- everything from screen resolution to total weight, number of ports
and so forth. But the Mac's native software and OS sure make life
easy. And with VMWare Fusion, you can use  the WIN software you
need. If you went Mac, what won you over? Same if you stayed WIN?

Michael Norman