Re: more on MS networking

flash wrote:
I suppose MS rewrote the SMB networking
protocol then, so it does not surprise me that W98 machines have trouble
with the Mr. Flashlight routine in newer or mixed LAN environments.
Actually, they don't IF the XP machine is also but not too busy. It's when it's off (a frequent occurrence when I'm doing database work over there at off hours) or very busy (e.g., on a Tues or Wed a.m., when the editor's putting the paper together) that Mr. Flashlight swivels about endlessly.
"Domain" applies only
if you have at least one NT _server_ machine in the LAN which has been
configured as a Primary Domain Controller (and you'd know if you had
one, as they require considerable configuration--they don't run out of
the box).
Which we don't. But a further wrinkle is that it LOOKS as if
Vista wants a router in the connection. We have one at the
office, and as soon as I changed the workgroup name to that of
the office workgroup, the Vista laptop saw the whole network. At
home, with just it and the desktop (booted into XP), connected by
Cat5 cables and a switch, the Vista box kept complaining of a
"Problem with the router"--which doesn't exist--and trying to
dial out through the desktop's modem (even though the laptop has
its own). Modern software cannot believe you don't have broadband.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscameg@xxxxxxxx